The Haynes was one of the most successful of the Hoosier pioneers. Having finished his first car in 1894, Elwood Haynes was struck with the idea of the mass production of automobiles. By 1898, Haynes-Appersons were being turned out of the Kokomo, Indiana, factory. In 1899, the plant was running 24 hours a day to keep up with the demand. In 1901, Haynes and the Apperson Brothers parted company. Haynes continued producing the Haynes-Apperson until 1904, when his products became simply Haynes. In 1913, a six-cylinder car joined the line, followed by a twelve in 1916. Haynes automobile continued to sell well into the early 1920s. However, by 1924 the company was in bankruptcy and by 1925 the Haynes was no more.